Friday, January 4, 2008

Friday random thoughts...

• Column errata: In the print edition of my Jan. 4 column, I misstated that then-Councilman Brent Ives cast a vote in 2004 regarding a company he once consulted. The vote actually occurred in 2002. The correct date is included in the Web edition of the column. My apologies.

• Another quandary to consider when dreaming up a city ethics code: Councilwoman Evelyn Tolbert has raised nearly $45,000 without disclosing the name of any contributor because all her donations are less than the legal reporting threshold.

• And one more: Councilman Steve Abercrombie had to figure out a way to continue his D.A.R.E. education as a "volunteer" to prevent a conflict of interest.

• Because people seem to like the idea of changing the broken political system: Barack Obama and the Iowa caucuses.

• Because you can apparently sleepwalk through a campaign and still get people to vote for you: Fred Thompson and the Iowa caucuses.

• Because, now that you consider it, you really don't care what a bunch of podunk-nowhere Iowans think: Hillary Clinton, Mitt Romney, and the Iowa caucuses.

• Make it stop. Please, make it stop: If you care at all about the San Francisco 49ers, read this. It might not end the hurting, but at least someone empathizes.

• Calvin and Hobbes quote of the week: "Are you making any resolutions for the new year?" "Resolutions? ME?? Just what are you implying? That I need to change?? Well, buddy, as far as I'm concerned, I'm perfect the way I am! For your information, I'm staying like this, and everyone else can just get used to it! If people don't like me the way I am, well, though beans! It's a free country! I don't need anyone's permission to be the way I want! This is how I am — take it or leave it! By golly, life's too darn short to waste time trying to please every meddlesome moron who's got an idea how I ought to be! I don't need advice! Everyone can just stay out of my face!"

No comments: