Friday, November 30, 2007

Friday random thoughts...

What's in a name? In today's column, I suggested the West High stadium and pool be named after West football coach Steve Lopez and West swim coach Pinkie Phillips. But I'm open to other suggestions. E-mail your thoughts to jmendelson@tracypress.com, or share a comment below.

Out with the old, maybe: The TUSD rules state that existing names of buildings and schools are not to be changed except under extraordinary circumstances. So while the Peter B. Kyne Field moniker is likely to stick at Tracy High, expect the surrounding bleachers to soon be known as "Wayne Schneider Stadium."

• Give me two pints of new blood, stat! Celeste Garamendi and Larry Hite announced this week they'll both be running for City Council. With many people clamoring for a change in governance, it's a promising start to the local campaign season.

As stiff as his hair product: Anyone else catch Mitt "Made for TV" Romney's imitation of a waffle during Wednesday's Republican debate? (It's about 1:34 into the clip.) The indecisive-flavored syrup was especially delicious.

• And the bar stayed open! Despite the ruckus in front of the Shamrock this past Tuesday night, 45 minutes after the brouhaha, the place was still open. Now that's a place I can patronize.

• The weekly Christmas consumption watch: My current shopping bounty = zero presents for 10 subjects. Not a bad start, if I do say so myself.

• Calvin and Hobbes quote of the week: "This whole Santa Claus thing just doesn't make sense. Why all the secrecy? Why all the mystery? If the guy exists, why doesn't he ever show himself and prove it? And if he doesn't exist, what's the meaning of all this?" "I dunno... Isn't this a religious holiday?" "Yeah, but actually, I've got the same questions about God."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey I have been looking for a copy of the Calvin and Hobbes cartoon that you quote in "Calvin and Hobbes quote of the week"--Do you happen to have it or know where I can find it on-line? Thank you so much. j.cepelnik@csuohio.edu

Anonymous said...

hey j, if no one's helped you already:
go to google images and type in "calvin and hobbes santa" (without the quotes), and the very first image is the strip you're looking for. it's an epic strip, it's hanging on my wall now.