Thursday, May 31, 2007

Friday random thoughts...

Note: I've been sick the past week or so, so the blog's been neglected. I'll get back on the horse, starting with my usual Friday random thoughts, cheap shots and bon mots.



• In January, I wrote this column about the tragic accident that killed Michael Ucci and injured Bret Clifton, Marie Ucci and Justin Baker. I said then the time wasn't ripe to make it an educational experience. But now, thanks to the wonderful efforts of Ken Ucci (and Bret Clifton), I'm glad to say that moment has arrived.



• The family owning the controlling shares of Dow Jones & Co. are meeting with Rupert Murdoch about a renewed takeover possibility. For the love of God and all things journalistically holy, please let the Bancrofts say no again.

• Hunger knows no season, but giving sometimes does. One more reason to help contribute to the food drive that begins this Sunday in Tracy.

• I recently re-read the transcript of the second Republican presidential debate, and I found Rep. Ron Paul's candor regarding foreign policy as refreshing as I found Mitt "Made for TV" Romey's desire to look as tough on terrorism by promoting torture disgusting.



• So the state pumps are shutting down to help out the Delta smelt. That's great and all, but I'd prefer a long-term solution to a 10-day Band-Aid for what ails the Delta.



• Random thought of the week: "I'm pulling for ya... we're all in this together."



• Calvin and Hobbes quote of the week "If people could put rainbows in zoos, they'd do it."

1 comment:

Erdos56 said...

Man, that's disturbing. I just compared Murdoch to Hearst over at TP, fearing no particular evil from either of them in any grand scheme.

Brownback's evolution apologetics on New York Times are also worth reading:

Op-Ed

The guy (and his staff) can write even if I disagree with his conclusions.