This week, a special "Animal House" version of the Friday random thoughts.
• "Remain calm. All is well.": While some pundits and the Bush Administration claim there's a lot of improvement in Iraq because of the surge, basic essentials like running water are still hard to come by. So, what's that about positive progress?
• "Face it Kent, you threw up on Dean Wermer.": All that pressure might be getting to Barry Bonds — he's having more than a little trouble hitting that magical No. 755, and Bud Selig must be tired of following him around.
• "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part." "We're just the guys to do it.": White House staffers won't answer Congressional subpoenas, and the Justice Department refuses to investigate contempt charges levied at those White House staffers by Congress. A futile gesture indeed.
• "Oh boy, this is great!": There's still plenty of time left this summer for another vacation.
• "Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain morally casual attitude.": A study done by folks at the University of Texas found that the reasons men and women in college have sex are pretty much identical. And love isn't the No. 1 for either.
• "May I have 10,000 marbles, please?": Boundless hope and optimism will only get you so far, but dark glasses, a trenchcoat and a the magic word can get you enough marbles to disrupt a parade. (I'm sure there's a life lesson there somewhere.)
• Calvin and Hobbes quote of the week: "We're studying geography! Now which state do you live in?" "Denial." "Sighhh... I don't suppose I can argue with that."